[Samba] Samba PDC and XP Pro Problem. (Not signorseal - fixed that one some time ago)

Richard Horton richard.horton at kecrypt.com
Thu Oct 24 08:43:01 GMT 2002

Hi,

This is a simple query and may well have been answered in the mailing
list archives but my searching can't find an answer to my specific
problem.

My PDC is Samba 2.2.3 on Redhat 7.3, clients are a mix of Win 2k and XP
Pro laptops.

The Win 2k laptops work fine (all service packs applied) and allow any
domain user to log on to any of the 2k laptops. However the XP laptops
if I try logging on as a user other than the normal user for that laptop
then no dice - I get a can not find domain controller error. All the XP
laptops have had the signorseal fix applied, and I'm not using roaming
profiles so that's not the issue (or might be on hindsight... does XP
allow a domain user to log on without a server side profile?)

The PDC configuration is shown below:-
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 10.0.0.26 (10.0.0.26)
# Date: 2002/10/09 08:27:32

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = ENGINEERING
	server string = KECRYPT INTERNAL SERVER
	interfaces = eth0 127.0.0.1
	bind interfaces only = Yes
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *password* %n\n *password* %n\n *successful*
	username level = 5
	unix password sync = No
	log level = 2
	syslog = 2
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.smbd
	printcap name = lpstat
	domain admin group = @smbadm
	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -c
'%u machine account' -s /bin/false -M %u
	logon script = scripts\startup.cmd
	logon drive = h:
	logon home = \\%N\%u\xphome
	domain logons = Yes