[Samba] Re: How Samba let us down

Walter Mautner rentuam_retlaw at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 24 05:38:05 GMT 2002

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 11:38:55AM +1000, Matthew Hannigan wrote:
> I did have a look at the docs really, but
> textdocs/UNIX-SMB.txt for instance says that "Unix has no
> simple way of implementing opportunistic locking, and
> currently Samba has no support for it."
>
> Which is out of date I guess.
>
> What is the best document to learn about how Samba does
> it's locking?
>
> Replies of the form "read the source Luke!" are ok; at least
> I'll know to stop searching elswhere.

As far as I know, "oplocks" are extensions to common file locks.
 In fact, whenever a oplock is set, also a conventional lock
request is sent to the underlying non-smb locking system, and only
if this one doesn't report it as already occupied, samba can give
 away oplocks. From my knowl^belly oplocks just make the difference
 to clients in the manner how local file caching can be handled.