[Samba] samba stop

Jay Ts jay at jayts.cx
Wed Oct 23 22:13:01 GMT 2002

Linda Craddock wrote:

> I would like to know if you could assist me with stopping the samba
> services.  when I type /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart or stop, it says failed,

That will happen if the daemons are not running in the first place:

$ su
Password:
# /etc/init.d/smb stop
Shutting down SMB services:
Shutting down NMB services:
# /etc/init.d/smb stop
Shutting down SMB services: kill: can't find process "smbd"

Shutting down NMB services: kill: can't find process "nmbd"

(This was on Red Hat Linux, with the daemons running before the
first "smb stop"). Of course, you need to be superuser to
run the /etc/init.d/smb script.

> Also cannot see network from server nor can I cannot to Linux system over
> the network.

You mean it doesn't work through Samba, or you can't ping the server
or do anything else over the network? If it's just Samba, then you
might want to start the Samba daemons first. ;)

If you download the Samba source code (www.samba.org),
it includes the first edition of Using Samba (O'Reilly) in HTML form.
That should get you started.

Jay Ts