[Samba] Re: How Samba let us down

jra at dp.samba.org jra at dp.samba.org
Wed Oct 23 21:26:07 GMT 2002

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 02:14:41PM -0700, Marc Jacobsen wrote:

> This next statement from John Terpstra seems a bit strong to me, see the
> counter example below from just a few weeks ago.  Not to badmouth John,
> or Samba, just to add some more information to the conversation.
>
> What about this message posted to the samba mail list, it seems to imply
> that Samba did cause file corruption for him and Jeremy seems to
> acknowledge that it was a valid problem:

Well of course. It was a bug in the write cache code (which I wrote btw
so it was my fault) and as soon as I read the message I committed fixes
to all branches and made the patch available.

In addition, the write cache code is off by default.

How could we have responded faster than that ? I still stand by the fact
that a data corruption bug is addressed at the highest priority (as are
security bugs).

Jeremy.