[Samba] Re: How Samba let us down

Jay Ts jay at jayts.cx
Wed Oct 23 20:28:01 GMT 2002

John H Terpstra wrote:

> Both ways. Remember file/data corruption is a death issue. We do NOT ship
> if we see it is broken and we are PARANOID about integrity. Also, remember
> that just because it works does not mean it is not broken. Oops, did I say
> PARANOID?
> [...]
> Also remember our unique claim, "We own the bugs!" How many software
> projects do you know of that make that claim?

Thanks, I was starting to think the Samba Team had a denial problem. :-)

As I said in another message, I didn't start out intending to get into
this subject; it just happened.  But, it's something I was curious
about, since I might want to comment further in Using Samba on Samba's
world-class level of development and assured reliability.

My own experience with computers (both personal and while consulting)
has been that "nothing is ever perfect", and that the overall quality of
service of a computer system is more dependent on who's using it
and how they're focused, rather than any intrinsic quality of the
hardware and software.  (This of course doesn't excuse flaky product
development, but point out that inept people are more likely to
choose flaky products or misuse good ones!)

Of course, it's still important to keep testing and debugging, to ensure
that when something bad is bound to happen, it chooses someone else's
software as a conduit of least resistance. ;)

Jay Ts