[Samba] XP clients & inexplicable pauses

Jeremy Wohl jeremyw-ml at igmus.org
Wed Oct 23 20:12:03 GMT 2002

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 02:06:58AM -0400, Bradley W. Langhorst wrote:
> > [WinXP]
> > Browsing mounted shares causes hangs when right-clicking or double-clicking/
> > launching files -- about 15 seconds.  During this, precious little network
> > activity is occuring.  Something is hanging, locking, sleeping.
> >
> look at the logs before you look at the code...
>
> you can tail -f them while you do the troublesome actions to get an idea
> of what the server is getting...

Default debug level produces nothing in the interim.  -d 10 produces
lots.  What would you like?

Jumping down to the wire, I've posted the following tcpdump output.
At 13:04:25 I hover over a file and right-click.  (Double-clicking
would have produced the same delay, but generated lots of other
wire activity..)  I assume nmbd doesn't know what to do with it.
Notice 15 seconds later, WinXP gives up and continues with the
standard file read.

  http://igmus.org/files/tcpdump.samba.20021023.txt

Ideas?

thanks,