[Samba] Strange filenames after copy to smb-share

Florian Rauh florian.rauh at web.de
Wed Oct 23 11:34:00 GMT 2002

Am Mittwoch, 23. Oktober 2002 12:31 schrieb mesiol:
> Hye,
>
> we use a samba 2.2.3a which works fine most time.
> now i found that one client has some strange problems.
> when the user copies files to the smb-share some of them will be created
> with very strange filenames.
>
> For example let's say the original file is named:
> my_nicetestfile.txt then on the server the file will be created as
>
> my_nic~1.txt and also a file will be created called
> my_nicefile:{some_strange_chars_here_in}.txt
>
> has someone an idea how to solve this behaviour?
>
> thanks for all ideas.

Perhaps this is a problem with the different character sets (Unix, Windows
Codepages).

Try to set these options in your smb.conf

character set = iso8859-1 (this char set will be used on the server)
client code page = 850 (this char set will be used for the clients)

I've used the Latin-1 (iso8859-1) char set and the European code page (850).

greetings

Florian Rauh