[Samba] newbie problem: can't mount win xp disk into linux (regkey is set)

Don Zajic donald.zajic at verizon.net
Wed Oct 23 09:02:00 GMT 2002

I don't know if you received a response to this, however, do you have an
entry in your /etc/hosts file for XERXES?

192.168.x.x		XERXES

Without this, your linux box does not know who XESRES is.

Here is my /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1     localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.1.190 niihau
192.168.1.100 oahu
192.168.1.104 molokai
192.168.1.102 hawaii
192.168.1.103 lanai

My Mount command in the same format as yours:

[root at molokai donald]# mount -t smbfs -o
username=<myname>,password=<mypassword> //hawaii/C_drive /mnt/share

Listing the contents of my Windows XP Pro C Drive

[root at molokai donald]# ls /mnt/share
09 2002 Revised Resume.doc  MAT540 Project Proposal.doc  RedHat Iso
AUTOEXEC.BAT                MSDOS.SYS                    Sofsource
BK5                         NTDETECT.COM
srsc_41_sp5_4199_win2k_des
boot.ini                    ntldr                        STAT
CONFIG.SYS                  oracle                       System Volume
Information
Documents and Settings      pagefile.sys                 WINDOWS
FOWIN                       Program Files                WUTemp
hiberfil.sys                Project Preposal.doc
IO.SYS                      RECYCLER

My smb.conf file

[root at molokai donald]# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
# This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
# smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
# here. Samba has a huge number of configurable options (perhaps too
# many!) most of which are not shown in this example
#
# Any line which starts with a ; (semi-colon) or a # (hash)
# is a comment and is ignored. In this example we will use a #
# for commentry and a ; for parts of the config file that you
# may wish to enable
#
# NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command
"testparm"
# to check that you have not many any basic syntactic errors.
#
#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]

   workgroup = zajic
   server string = Molokai - PDC Samba Server
   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
;  guest account = pcguest

   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
   max log size = 50
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

   local master = yes
   os level = 64
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   domain logons = yes
   domain admin group = @ntadmins
   time server = true
   logon script = login.bat

# Where to store roving profiles (only for Win95 and WinNT)
#        %L substitutes for this servers netbios name, %U is username
#        You must uncomment the [Profiles] share below
   logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
   logon drive = H:
   logon home = \\%L\%U
   dns proxy = no
==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain
Logons
[netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
   writable = no
   write list = @ntadmins
   ;share modes = no

# Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
# the default is to use the user's home directory
[profiles]
    path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
    ;path = /home
    writeable = yes
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700

# A publicly accessible directory, but read only, except for people in
# the "staff" group
[public]
   comment = Public Stuff
   path = /public
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   browseable = yes
   printable = no
   write list = donald debra tasha christie
[cdrom]
   comment = Molokai CDRom
   path = /mnt/cdrom
   public = yes