[Samba] Re: How Samba let us down

Chris de Vidal cdevidal at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 23 06:45:01 GMT 2002

--- Bartlomiej Solarz-Niesluchowski
<B.Solarz-Niesluchowski at wsisiz.edu.pl> wrote:
> At 08:13 2002-10-23, you wrote:
>
> >The printers were missing some of the records sent
> >them to print, something that had never happened
> with
> >Netware.  Every time the missing records were
> >different.  Occasionally, it would work right.
> >Oplocks (kernel, level I and II) were left to
> defaults
> >(turned on).
> >

> This is known bug - on my setup (600 clients/6500
> users/2TB hdd space) all
> print jobs are printed without problems but when you
> look on print manager
> it can talk that it is printer error on hangup
> client machine.
>
> As I read you must wait to samba 2.2.6 (it will be
> in some days - currently
> it is samba 2.2.6 rc4) where this bug will be
> corrected (bug = weird "work"
> of print manager).

The actual queues are on an NT server.  This server
merely acts as a large spool area.  Are you using
Samba as the spool area only or using Samba printing
support?

Our printouts are not fine (corrupt), and we are not
using a Windows print manager but a DOS BARR machine.

We look forward to using Samba again at a later
version; this might indeed be a bug that gets fixed
then.

/dev/idal