[Samba] Files Missing on smbfs on RH 7.3

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Oct 23 04:39:00 GMT 2002

Walter,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check out sharity.

The problem is not file names. I did a little more experimentation
and found that if I use a perl script like:

find2perl /smbfs -ls > doit.pl
perl doit.pl | wc
perl doit.pl | wc
perl doit.pl | wc
perl doit.pl | wc

That the number of lines tends to increase until all the files are
shown, but I have to do it rapidly. If I wait for a little bit then
do:
  perl doit.pl | wc
the count goes down again. If I use:
  ls -Ral /smbfs | wc
  find /smbfs -ls | wc
these never seem to show all the files.

The files are definitely there and accessible via the smbfs. If I
compare the file list generated on the linux side to one created on
the windows to find which files are not listed, I can list them
individually by:
  ls -l /smbfs/path/to/missing/file
without a problem.

So you can see why this is a fairly alarming problem.

-Steve