[Samba] Roaming Profiles with win 98 - Doesn't work.

Joerg Lenneis lenneis at wu-wien.ac.at
Tue Oct 22 13:00:01 GMT 2002

Angel Gabriel:

> ------=_NextPart_000_0066_01C2787A.F4131630

> I would like to know if anybody on this list has managed to have a network
> of 98 clients running off a samba server, and had roaming profiles, i.e.
> people's settings follow them from machine to machine. I have done
> everything I find in the guides, and I have no idea why the machines create
> new local profiles. I've searched the net for documentation, example
> websites, etc, but it seems the majority of info is for Win NT which is no
> problem. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get the same effect
> on win 98?

Yes, I have and it does work without too many problems. On Windows,
make sure you have (I am paraphrasing here, I only know the dialog
boxes in German), 1) "Logon to Windows NT Domain" set in the
properties of the MS Network Client, 2) Check that you have set the
workgroup correctly, 3) Enable roaming profiles with the "Passwords"
icon in control panel, the relevant entry should be something along
the lines "users can change their desktop settings. Upon login, those
settings are restored".

Viz. "not too many problems": Make sure the roaming profiles and user
data files do not get too large, otherwise login/logoff times will
become unacceptably slow over time and the probability that something
goes wrong will increase as well. Offenders are for instance Internet
Explorer (temporay internet files are part of a profile) and Outlook
Express (mail files are part of the user profile as well). Avoid
Outlook Express full stop if you possibly can as it is known to
corrupt its own mail files anyway. The temporary internet files of
Internet Explorer can be directed to a local disk.

best regards,

Oh btw: Could you get rid of this stuff (winmail.dat) in your mails?
Absolutely useless for quite a few...

--

Joerg Lenneis

email: lenneis at wu-wien.ac.at