[Samba] dial up and samba

mark lists at xinot.net
Tue Oct 22 06:38:00 GMT 2002

On Tuesday 22 October 2002 6:49 am, upen wrote:
> hi all
> my first mail o this list
> prob is:i use dialup on linux i want somebudy on internet MS or linux to
> mount my samba directories is it possible?? how??

You really don't want to do this, even if your isp doesn't block ports
137-139.  Which many now do.  The smb/CIFS/<theotherterm> protocols are not
inherently secure and you open yourself up for all kinds of bad things (tm)
to happen to you and your box.

See http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=samba&m=101434913901965&w=2 for a way to
do this over a vpn.  Or at least a description of what he did.  And while
you're there you can do some searches through the archives for what similar
discussions.

mark