[Samba] Problem with Samba on Solaris 2.6

Richard Davies richard at brecon.co.uk
Mon Oct 21 20:20:07 GMT 2002

Walter Mautner wrote:

> [...]
Not my choice. The machine belongs to a company we provide support to,
and they had made some changes that required that they map a NT drive to
the Solaris machine.

>>Today everything has fallen flat on its face. Unfortunately I am on
>>holiday this week so not able to deal with the problem
>>directly, but via telephone calls. Apparently what is happening is
>>that smbd is gobbling up all the memory, the system is running out
>>of swap (/tmp hits 100%) and the machine locks up. As there is a
>>live ERP system running on this machine it is causing a bit of
>>a problem. With no one on the machine except root smbd starts
>>using up memory, /tmp starts to fill.
>>If smbd is restarted memory useage drops and then starts building
>>again. so presently samba is stopped on this machine.
>>

>Have you configured smb.conf correctly that last Friday?

I am assuming Samba is configured correctly. The configuration is not
radically different to the Samba installation on our office Solaris
machine, and that has been running without problems for sometime.

>Does DNS and reverse DNS work there?

Yes, DNS works fine.

>How many smbd or (most probably ...) nmbd processes are building up?

Will have to wait until tomorrow to get them to check. But from what I
understood from the person I was talking to today there is a single smbd
and nmbd process running and the smbd process just starts gobbling up
memory until everything falls in a heap.