[Samba] locking .. smb locks and unix locks

mlh mlh at zip.com.au
Mon Oct 21 11:52:01 GMT 2002

I posted a question earlier (below) regarding two
instances of samba on the same machine.

Unfortuneately my question only elicited questions.

Can anyone tell me whether samba locks and Unix
locks pay well together?  Will samba notice unix
locks aaaaand vice versa?   I _did_ look at the documentation
but I think it was very out of date. (e.g. UNIX-SMB.txt
in samba 2.2.3 says that "Unix has no simple way of implementing
opportunistic locking, and currently Samba has no support for it")
which I'm sure is false and has been false for a while.

If Unix and Samba locking DO work together, then two samba's
should be a no-brainer right?

Another way to acheive what I want is to have Samba
join two domains at once and decide per user which one
to authenticate against.  Is this at all possible?
It seems to join (smbpasswd -j ...) two domains, but
only auths against one.

Matt

Hi,
I want to run two Samba servers on a single machine
during a transition from NT domain to W2k AD server
setup.   And samba 2.0.7 to 2.2.5.  And NT wkstation to XP.

To do this I'd like to run the two versions of Samba simultaneously
on the one machine.  I figure this would be easy enough if I
have them bind to different listing addresses.

However, since the two servers will sharing the same shares,
will there be a problem with locking?
Or will it be ok, since they both just use the underlying Unix
locks?

Has anyone done this?

Regards,

Matt
PS. Another possibility that occurred to me is the have the
second server on a second machine NFS mounting the first.
But I think this would be even hairier.