[Samba] print$ share

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Sun Oct 20 16:47:01 GMT 2002

On Sun, 2002-10-20 at 11:20, Chris Caston wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am hoping you can help me with the an issue I have with the following
> configuration:
>
> Server Debian woody shareing HP Deskjet print using Samba + cups.
>
> Windows 95 client machine
>
> I can print generic text only test pages fine.
>
> The Debian server can also boot into Windows 2000.
>
> I have created a similar setup under w2k and  installed the win 9x
> drivers for the print device under the alternate drivers option in the
> printer properties.
>
> I have also installed some .exe program with adobe drivers from their
> website.
you need to use the add printer wizard to upload drivers..
see the samba howto collection

>  I have copied over the drivers directory (contents of the print$) to
> /etc/samba/drivers print$ share on debian.
>
> I don't know if this the best way to do it but in my view of logic it
> should work.
this won't work because samba must maintain a database of what files
correspond to which drivers
> printcap name = cups
I don't think this is supported
you need something like
/etc/printcap.cups
> comment = Printer Drivers
> path = /etc/samba/drivers
> browseable = yes
> guest ok = yes
>
> write list = root
> create mode = 0777
are you sure you want these to writable by everyone?

> [printers]
>    comment = All Printers
>    browseable = yes
>    path = /var/spool/samba
>    printable = yes
>    public = yes
>    guest ok = yes
>    writable = yes
>    printer admin = root

this share is wide open - make sure you want it that way...
here is my printers share...
[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba