[Samba] Resolving NetBIOS names within linux

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Oct 18 17:13:01 GMT 2002

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, darren wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to do the same (resolve win_pc names in linux) too.
> However, all my Win2k machines are simple just PCs in the same workgroup
> (LAN).
>
> What do I fill in as the WINS server?

In the smb.conf file [globals] section add:
	wins support = Yes

Then configure all you PC's TCP/IP stack so that the IP address of the
WINS server is the IP address of the network interface of your samba
server. That simple.

Of course, the simplest way do configure all the windows clients is to use
DHCP. See the documentation on that in the samba documentation tree.

Cheers,
John T.

--
John H Terpstra