[Samba] MS Access and Samba

Ben Griffith bgriffit at email.unc.edu
Fri Oct 18 12:56:01 GMT 2002

-----[ on 10/18/02 01:55:53 PM +0200 okrehan at karlsruhe.actaris.com wrote
]-----

> Has anyone ever get an Access-db running on more than 2 clients
> simultaneously and if yes, could you please give us some helpfull hints ?

I have 2 Samba servers. One on a RedHat 6.2 (kernel 2.2x) and one on a
RedHat7.2 server. On both of these servers I can have a database open by
more than one user. User one can make a change in a table, then close the
table. User two can then open the table and see the updated records. (The
database is generally single user, but I did some light tests just now out
of curiosity from your post.)

Access/Win settings:
Both clients use Access 2000 with all OfficeUpdate patches.
Client 1 was Win2K + SP3
Client 2 was WinXP + SP1
Database is nothing special, tables, querys, forms, etc.

Samba settings:
Both servers are members of an NT domain.
Neither server uses oplocks.
The 7.2 server runs 2.2.1a (stock RedHat rpms)
The 6.2 server runs 2.2.5 with some of the printing patches.

All of the oplock settings are set to no, except for the veto oplock
parameter which is unset. If you are interested in other smb.conf
parameters, let me know.

     --Ben--

Ben Griffith
bgriffit at email.unc.edu