[Samba] Windows PDC with Samba PDC

Gagneet Singh gagneet at acmet.com
Fri Oct 18 07:15:01 GMT 2002

Hi!
    We have a windows NT PC as our PDC. Currently planning on migrating to
UNIX / Linux.

    For testing we have put up a Linux Red Hat 7.2 System, with Samba 2.2.5,
which I configured on it. Now the problem arises when the users for Linux
want to access to Windows NT computer. If they are not users on the NT
system they are unable to do so.

    I learnt that we can make the Samba machine join the Windows Domain by
making use of the commands:

                   smbpasswd -j NTDOM -r NTDOMPDC

        where the Domain name is NTDOm and the name of the domain controller
is NTDOMPDC.

Will this work? I just want to make sure before embarking on this issue.

Thanx for the help.

Gagneet

PS: Requires a machine account on PDC SAM database and the changes to the
smb.conf file..

'smb.conf' file:
workgroup = NTDOM
security = domain