[Samba] upgrade samba

Joshua Penix jpenix at binarytribe.com
Thu Oct 17 21:16:27 GMT 2002

On Thursday 17 October 2002 06:30, Roger Schmeits wrote:
> How does one move from a rpm based samba to tar.gz? In other words how
> do I upgrade from samba-2.2.1a-4 to samba-2.2.6.tar.gz.
>
> Do I remove samba : rpm -e samba?
>
> And what do I do with the other samba rpm packages:
> samba-client-2.2.1a-4 & samba-common-2.2.1a-4? Are they included with
> the tar package?
>

> Using RH7.2.

The Samba team provides RPMs for RedHat.  I'd recommend getting those instead
of going to source.  Yes, they're laid out differently - everything is in one
RPM as opposed to RedHat's split of samba-client/common/server.  So I
recommend backing up /etc/samba, and then removing all RedHat Samba RPMs, and
then installing the 2.2.6 one provided by Samba themselves.  That's all there
is to it!

http://us4.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/redhat/

--Josh