[Samba] Printing issue

Van Sickler, Jim vansickj-eodc at Kaman.com
Thu Oct 17 19:50:01 GMT 2002

Jason,

1.  Are you using the Windows native drivers?  If so, update them to
more current drivers from HP.  I'm using either NT/Win2k v4.3.2.38 or
Win2k/XP v02.12.02 of the PCL 5E drivers.  The MS-Supplied HP LJ4 drivers
 (and Lexmark Optra S and more...) have a host of problems.  Including
missing characters, graphics, etc.

2.  Run testparm on your Samba box to see/fix problems in your
setup.  Directory rights on the lprng or samba spool dirs may cause
the "Access Denied" errors.  Look at the LPRng How-To for the
correct syntax for the smb.conf entries.  Run checkpc -V -f to
see/fix problems in the lprng setup.

3.  If you're using the print$ share to distribute your drivers,
adding guest ok=yes may clear up the "Access Denied" errors.  Be sure
that you have "guest account" and "Map to Guest" configured in smb.conf.
Use SWAT to get to the smb.conf readme for more info.

Jim