[Samba] Samba + LDAP + SuSE eMail Server questions/problems

Fabiano Felix felix at getnet.com.br
Thu Oct 17 16:10:01 GMT 2002

Hi all,

I have some questions, some not accurately about samba, but all are
related...

This is my environment:
- I have a SuSE eMail Server 3.1, and I want to use the ldap database to
store my samba accounts (this is OK) and have a Samba PDC (this is OK too);

That are my questions/problems:
- I need a master (this is ok) and a slave ldap servers. The master to
slave replication is OK. According the openldap documentation, when a
client send a data modification to a slave, the server returns to the
application a updateref with the master address, so that the change is
made. According the "Using Samba Special Edition", the Samba has this
functionality, but I configured the LDAP and dont have success (I used
the configuration of the OpenLDAP according the official documentation).
- I'm not obtaining success to add the clients to the domain. I receive
the following message (using the root user): "User unknow". I read in
some doc that is necessary  a user with uid=0 in LDAP database. It is
correct? If I use the domain admin group, I receive the message "user
must have uid 0". This parameter is not allowed or is not more supported?
- I want to use the "add user script" to add the machine accounts
automatically in to the LDAP. For this, I believe that is necessary to
configure the PAM module with LDAP for  useradd application. If this is
correct, someone can send me a example?

Thanks for your help...

With best regards,

Fabiano