[Samba] mount_smbfs: can't get handle to requester (no /dev/nsmb* device)

Markku Kokko webmaster at maximillian.nu
Wed Oct 16 19:36:01 GMT 2002

Hi all !

Reposting this because I got no ideas/information at all, hoping for some kind of response this time.

I have a little problem here mounting or browsing samba shares.

I have a FreeBSD 4.6.2 running samba, and a share on that called public.

when I try to mount that share it asks for password, and then gives an
error:

ex.

libra# mount_smbfs //maxi at samba/public /mnt
Password:
mount_smbfs: can't get handle to requester (no /dev/nsmb* device)
libra#

I can list the shares with smbclient, no errors at all.

I can not login to the samba like this:

libra# smbutil login //maxi at samba
Password:
smbutil: can't get handle to requester (no /dev/nsmb* device)
smbutil: can't get handle to requester (no /dev/nsmb* device)
smbutil: could not login to server SAMBA: syserr = Invalid argument
libra#

I have checked /dev and there is one entry for nsmb0:

libra# ll /dev/nsmb*
crw-------  1 root  wheel  144,   0 Oct 14 15:23 /dev/nsmb0
libra#

I don't think the problem is server related because it works on another
Windows workstation on the same LAN.

Any ideas on what this might be?
Need more info? Just ask, I'll give all info I can...

Regards: Markku / Maxi