[Samba] tail -f & the missing data:2.2.5, 2.2.19-6.2.16,

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Oct 16 18:00:01 GMT 2002

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Sean Cullen wrote:

> Yes - RH7.2 + default 2.4 Kernels seem to solve
> the problem. So looks like I'll have to reinstall
> a bunch of machines.
>
> Out of curiosity, if you knew what was causing this
> in the 2.2 Kernel, I'd be interested.

Most likely smb_revalidate_inode and friends. The client doesn't see the
size change (I believe tail -f looks for a size change ...) so it doesn't
read anything. But when opening for editing the data is checked again and
the changes appear.

It would be possible to compare the code between kernels and fix it in 2.2
also.

/Urban