[Samba] Problem Logging in to Samba PDC

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Wed Oct 16 16:10:01 GMT 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 09:47, Irving Carrion wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Ok, recently upgraded from Samba 2.2.3a to 2.999+3.0.alpha20-2.
>
> After successfully joining the Win2k SP3 machine to the Samba PDC, I'm
> unable to log in.  The error I get is the following:
>

> "The system cannot log you on to this domain because the system's
> computer account in its primary domain is missing or the password on
> that account is incorrect"
did you apply the signorseal reg fix - thats needed on 2kSP2+ i believe.

> According to the docs, these are the steps I need to take.
>
> useradd -g 100 -d /dev/null -c "irvpc" -s /bin/false irvpc$
>
> passwd -l irvpc$
>
> smbpasswd -a -m irvpc
>

> So, before the upgrade, I could look at smbpasswd to see if the machine
> accounts where created successfully and if there were any duplicates.
> However, with this new version, all machine accounts are stored in a
> .tdb format.  How can one go about looking at the contents of the .tdb
> files and which file should I be looking at?
I use the ldap backend  so i don't know what's up with the tdbsam stuff.
I believe you can configure samba to continue to use smbpasswd and
passwd with a
    passdb backend = smbpasswd
in your conf file

> Sorry, I don't find any information on the .tdb files in the docs.
> Maybe someone can point me to some.
you can sort of see what there with  strings name.tdb

brad