[Samba] Drop down slowness on mapped drives

Rob Thomas robhthomas at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 16 12:13:00 GMT 2002

James,
I've experienced similar problems with Win2K clients and Samba mapped
drives. Unfortunately I haven't found a fix or seen any other posts about
this problem except for yours. The symptoms I was experienced was when using
Win2K Pro with SP2 installed and MS Office XP with SP1. Using any of the
file drop down boxes in any of the Office XP apps caused that application to
hang for about 1 minute or longer with Win2K task manager reporting that it
was not responding. However my problem was intermittent and appeared to be
related to having a large number of mapped Samba shares which were
disconnected i.e. I'd booted but hadn't bothered to enter in the passwords
to connect to them. To try and fix this I installed Win2K SP3 and Office XP
SP2 but it didn't appear to make any difference. Since then I have not been
a regular user of Office to notice any problems although right now I have a
couple of connected Samba mapped drives and Office is working ok.
The Samba servers are a mix of Redhat 7.2 with kernel 2.4.9-34SGI_XFS_1.1
running Samba 2.2.5 (rpm compiled with ACL support) and Redhat 7.1 with
kernel 2.4.9-31 running Samba 2.2.4. My smb.conf files are pretty standard.
I haven't investigated this fully yet but intend to as I'm about to roll out
a Samba domain.
Regards
Rob