[Samba] nt pipe support and nt smb support in smb.conf

Knut Hellebø Knut.Hellebo at nho.hydro.com
Wed Oct 16 08:03:01 GMT 2002

Regards,

This is kind of urgent (isn't everything nowadays :-).
Historically, our samba servers need to run with the two 'untouchables'
"nt pipe support" and "nt smb support" both set to "no" (non default)
based on a recommendation by one of our software vendors. These settings
in smb.conf now prevents WIN2K SP2 clients from creating directories on
the samba shares. The problem is that if I reset these two to default
"yes" performance is better and creating directories are OK, but the
application doesn't work.
Despite the documentation saying that the "nt smb support" set to "no"
could make "Windows NT clients give faster performance with this option
set to no", and "this is still being investigated", does anybody know
whether there are any need for these two parameters to be changed from
the default ? This is with samba-2.2.5

> nt pipe support (G)
>
>     This boolean parameter controls whether smbd(8) will allow Windows NT clients to connect to the NT SMB specific IPC$ pipes. This is a developer debugging option and can be left alone.
>
>     Default: nt pipe support = yes
> nt smb support (G)
>
>     This boolean parameter controls whether smbd(8) will negotiate NT specific SMB support with Windows NT/2k/XP clients. Although this is a developer debugging option and should be left alone, benchmarking has discovered that Windows NT clients give faster performance with this option set to no. This is still being investigated. If this option is set to no then Samba offers exactly the same SMB calls that versions prior to Samba 2.0 offered. This information may be of use if any users are having problems with NT SMB support.
>
>     You should not need to ever disable this parameter.
>
>     Default: nt smb support = yes

      *         Knut Hellebø                     | DAMN GOOD COFFEE !! *
      * Hydro IS Partner ESI (Unix) Team         | (and hot too)       *
      * Phone: +47 55 996870, Fax: +47 55 996342 |                     *
      * Cellular Phone: +47 93005151             |                     *
      * E-mail: Knut.Hellebo at nho.hydro.com       | Dale Cooper, FBI    *