[Samba] Printing...

Brad sambauser at sportingwheelies.org.au
Wed Oct 16 05:20:59 GMT 2002

I am using Red Hat 8.0 and I am trying to get an HP LaserJet 4 Plus to become
a shared printer so networked Windows PCs can print to it. I have Samba
working fine for sharing files with Windows PCs and I have begun wading
through the Samba documentation to enable printing and I have come up with an
smb.conf entry that looks like this:

[HP4Plus]
        guest ok = yes
        comment = Brad's HP Laser
        printable = yes
        writable = yes
        path = /var/spool/samba

Testparm says all is OK but my Win2K PC still can't see it, so do I need to do
anything else? I know that there are GUI tools available, but I have to do
this on a couple of different version Red Hat servers that don't have X
installed, so I would like to be able to do it manually if I can. The Samba
docs are pretty heavy going for me so any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Brad