[Samba] Share names causing big troubles

Jamie McParland jamie at listserv.newberg.k12.or.us
Tue Oct 15 20:56:01 GMT 2002

Hey That did the trick! Thanks SO MUCH to all who offered suggestions.

Heres a recap for the mailing list archives.

If your user names are Longer than 13 chars windows 9X doesn't play to well
with them. Win 9X truncates the share name and so it says the share is not a
valid name when you click on it.

Instead of sharing homes make a share in your smb.conf like this

[Home]
    path = /path/to/%U

Now if the user is logged in and goes to the server through the network
neighborhood, they will see a share called Home this will be the home
directory of the user logged into the workstation.

- Jamie