[Samba] Directory size display discrepency

Stephen Kitchener steve.kitchener at aspentech.com
Tue Oct 15 10:32:01 GMT 2002

Hi Micheal

> Subject: Re: [Samba] Directory size display discrepency
>
> That actually looks pretty normal. Windows properties show two sizes
> because it shows both the real size of a file (Size) and the amount of
> space it's reserving on disk because of the cluster size (Size on Disk).
> Your user will see the same thing looking at a small file or directory
> in C:. I'm not sure how Windows handles the "size on disk" for a file
> server, it probably either asks for it or guesses based on the total
> size of the disk. In any case, it's normal to have different sizes
> showing.

Thanks for clearing that up - I did think that is was just a 'windows
thing' but had to find out.

--
Stephen M Kitchener
Unix Systems Administrator EMEA APAC

AspenTech UK
1 Century Court,
Tolpits Lane,
Watford, Herts,
WD18 9PT

TEL       +44 (0) 1923 652125
FAX       +44 (0) 1923 652215
EMAIL   steve.kitchener at aspentech.com
WEB     http://www.aspentech.com

Aspenworld 2002
the premier global conference for process industry leaders
October 27 - November 1, 2002
Register at http://www.aspenworld2002.com

Contact

For assistance, please contact Kristine Martin
mailto:kristine.martin at aspentech.com