[Samba] Help Requested - nmbd Stopping

Tom Lackey lackey at ltu.edu
Mon Oct 14 18:55:00 GMT 2002

I am running LINUX 6.0 with Samba-2.0.5a on a 433 DEC Alpha. The machine is
like a "Timex", it just keeps running. Once in a while I would have restart
nmbd since it would stop, though smbd continued to run.

Just recently nmbd stopped. I restarted as usual but nmbd stopped again
after about 15 seconds. I rebooted but nmbd stops in 15 to 20 seconds. I no
longer can run my Samba applications.

The Alpha server has not caused any problems in the past. I have not made
any changes to the system. I know I need to upgrade, but I hate to shut down
the server since there are a number of users depending on it being up
(24x7).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom