[Samba] Directory size display discrepency

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 14 16:51:02 GMT 2002

That actually looks pretty normal. Windows properties show two sizes
because it shows both the real size of a file (Size) and the amount of
space it's reserving on disk because of the cluster size (Size on Disk).
Your user will see the same thing looking at a small file or directory
in C:. I'm not sure how Windows handles the "size on disk" for a file
server, it probably either asks for it or guesses based on the total
size of the disk. In any case, it's normal to have different sizes
showing.

I'm assuming that the directory contents actually do total around 33
bytes. It's been a while since I used a DEC so I don't remember how its
"du" handles the size of small directories. If you use "ls -l" you'll
probably see that the directory shows 4096 as the size.

--
Michael Heironimus