[Samba] samba server does not appear in network neighborhood

hinz at umbc.edu hinz at umbc.edu
Mon Oct 14 15:10:04 GMT 2002

Hi all,

I've recently setup samba 2.2.5 on a solaris 8 workstation and configured it
to be a member of an NT domain. Everything is working correctly, with the
exception that the samba server does not appear in the network neighborhood of
the rest of the PC's in the domain. However, if you choose to "search for
computers" and enter the netbios name of the server it is detected and all of
the shares show up correctly. I've set the "wins server" option in my smb.conf
file to the ip address of the local wins server, and my NT administrator
claims to have created an entry for the machine (anyone know how I can verify
this?), so I'm pretty much at a loss at this point. Here are the options I've
set:

smb.conf
[global]
workgroup = mydomain
netbios name = my_netbios_name # same as dns hostname (but not fqdn)
security = domain
local master = no
domain master = false
preferred master = false
wins server = xx.xx.xx.xx
dns proxy = no

I've also added the following lines to /etc/services:

netbios-ns  137/udp  nbns
netbios-ns  137/tcp  nbns
netbios-dgm 138/udp  nbdgm
netbios-dgm 138/tcp  nbdgm