[Samba] SAMBA with mounted ISO images

Jon Monroe jmonroe at imagebuilder.com
Fri Oct 11 21:48:01 GMT 2002

Hey all,

I'm using Samba to share *mounted* ISO images w/ windows workstations. In
other words, I create a share w/ default write access. Then, I create a
several folders. Some are for files, while others are read-only and used
for mount points for iso9660 ISO image files (so the user sees the contents
of the iso files, not the file itself).

I can mount and share the ISO file contents fine. But I can't umount the
image (to say, switch to a newer version of the same named ISO file). Even
though nobody is using the server (windows stations switched OFF), Samba
seems to maintain a lock on the shared ISO mount point (the folder) and
won't let the resource be released

If I do a force umount (-f) it doesn't help
If I do a lazy umount (-l), it does work, but it doesn't release the loop
device.
If I do a losetup -d /dev/<loop_device> it can't release it.

But, if I shutdown Samba, it unmounts/releases fine.

So, is there something I can configure or compile into Samba that will
cause it to not-lock/cache mounted folders so that one can umount the ISO?
I tried disabling all the known cache settings in the smb.conf -- didn't help.

Thanks a bunch!

Jon
Jon Monroe
Systems Administrator