[Samba] Specific directory permissions

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 11 18:22:01 GMT 2002

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 11:04:01AM -0400, Thom Paine wrote:
> Who should own the files in the directory? Nobody? Or root?

It doesn't matter who owns them, that's the advantage of using group
permissions. If they're group-writable any member of the group can write
to them, and the ownership will just be whoever created the file (I
think). When I migrated a server from NT4 to Linux+Samba I arbitrarily
set the ownerships to root:<group> for convenience, since I had just
copied them from one drive to another in explorer.

--
Michael Heironimus