[Samba] Filesystem for Samba server

Yura Pismerov ypismerov at tucows.com
Thu Oct 10 00:35:01 GMT 2002

	I said ext3 because it is part of any kernel source code (hence no
patches needed when you upgrade). Though you will need patches for ACL
and extended attributes support. Also I think it is still fastest on
majority benchmark tests. ReiserFS that is part of 2.4.x kernels can
compete too. XFS, last time I checked it was noticeable slow on
writings. Things might change since then though. When I worked with SGI
Irix I loved XFS. IMHO it is one of the best journalling filesystems.
AFAIK it was invented and written from scratch in SGI. I hope the Linux
port will be soon as good as its original.

	And yes, LVM is way to go. If you plan to grow your filesystem
eventually it will be a matter of adding hardrives, creating a volume
and adding it to a group. Then you can use standard utilities (depending
on FS you choose) to grow the partition.