[Samba] Joining a domain with smbpasswd

michele.de-martin at electrolux.it michele.de-martin at electrolux.it
Wed Oct 9 10:05:59 GMT 2002

Hi everybody,
I need help for joining my linux box to an existing NT domain.

I'm using Red Hat 7.3 with samba 2.2.5 compiled with the Red Hat defaults
plus "--with-winbind-auth-challenge".
I've set up my smb.conf file and joined my DOMAIN with
smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -r PDC -U Administrator

Now I would like to do the same thing using a non-administrator NT account
after having registered the linux box in the NT SAM:
smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -r PDC -U user
I now this works fine for native NT box joining the domain.

Another thing I would like to do is to join separate domain or to configure
winbindd to authenticate against separate not-trusted domain. Is it
possible? Am I dreaming? :)

If my questions are already answerd somewhere, please let me know an sorry
for the lost of  bandwidth.

Thank you very much.
ciao
Michele De Martin