[Samba] Please assist with Winbind issues!

SRuth at LANDAM.com SRuth at LANDAM.com
Tue Oct 8 21:32:00 GMT 2002

Hello,

I've been trying for a couple of weeks now to get Samba to authenticate via Winbind to an NT domain.  I've scoured Google and the mailing lists to no avail.  I've tried various configurations that I've found during my searches, but none of them have worked for me.

I need to be able to authenticate users, that do not have an account on the Linux box, against the NT domain, and automatically create a home directory for them.  This is the purpose of Winbind (except the home directory part, which pam_mkhomedir is supposed to do), as I understand it.  Something between winbind and pam is failing since the connecting user gets authenticated as guest rather than an actual user.

My current configuration is RedHat 7.3 and Samba 2.2.5.  My most current samba installation is an RPM generated via the makerpms.sh script in the packaging/RedHat folder of the 2.2.5 samba distribution.

I've added the following compilation flags in the samba2.spec file:  This is my latest attempt, since nothing else seemed to work.

--with-ssl \
--with-sslinc=/usr/include/openssl \
--with-ssllib=/usr/lib/ssl \
--with-acl-support \
--with-winbind \
--with-winbind-auth-challenge \

'getent passwd' and 'getent group' work properly so I think winbind works, too.  I think the problem lies somewhere with pam, but I'm not a pam guru by any stretch of the imagination.

The problem is one I've seen discussed a couple of times, but have not seen any kind of resolution.  The next few lines are from the log file of the client attempting to connect to the server with an account called ilchtest.

[2002/10/08 15:00:50, 3] lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_out(845)
  Connecting to 10.226.XXX.XXX at port 139
[2002/10/08 15:00:50, 3] smbd/reply.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(1045)
  No such user ilchtest [CHICAGO] - using guest account

The following is the last line of what 'winbindd -d5 -i' spits out when I start it from the root prompt:

tdb(unknown): tdb_brlock failed (fd=10) at offset 4 rw_type=1 lck_type=13  <--------Not sure if this points to a problem???

The following is what 'winbindd -d5 -i' spits out when the client trys to connect:

rpc_read: num_read = 4, read offset: 0, to read: 4
000018 samr_io_r_close_hnd
        0018 data1: 00000000
        001c data2: 00000000
        0020 data3: 0000
        0022 data4: 0000
        0024 data5: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    002c status: NT_STATUS_OK
[23826]: sid to gid S-1-5-21-178404139-331375567-1660491571-2273
[23826]: gid to sid 10000
[23826]: gid to sid 10001
[23826]: getgroups ftp     <-------Guest account was nobody and I changed it to ftp.

Here is my /etc/nsswitch.conf

passwd:     files winbind
shadow:     files
group:      files winbind

#hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
hosts:      files winbind dns

Here is my /etc/pam.d/system-auth

auth        required      /lib/security/pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok use_first_pa
ss
auth        required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so

account     sufficient    /lib/secutiry/pam_winbind.so
account     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so

password    required      /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3
password    sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5 shado
password    required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so

session     required      /lib/security/pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/ umask=0
022
session     required      /lib/security/pam_limits.so
session     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so

Here is my /etc/samba/smb.conf:

[global]
	workgroup = CHICAGO
	netbios name = SILCHRS03
	server string =
	security = DOMAIN
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	password server = *
	log level = 3
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 50
	large readwrite = Yes
	name resolve order = host wins bcast
	load printers = No
	preferred master = False
	local master = No
	domain master = False
	dns proxy = No
	wins server = 172.30.XXX.XXX
	winbind uid = 10000-50000
	winbind gid = 10000-50000
	template shell = /bin/bash
	guest account = ftp
	invalid users = root bin daemon adm sync shutdown halt mail news uucp operator gopher
	printer admin = +PrinterAdmins
	nt acl support = No
	printing = cups

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	read only = No
	browseable = No

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No

I really want this to work, so any help is appreciated.
Please include my e-mail address in any replies.

Thank you!

Sven