[Samba] No printer status on Win2K client; Win98 and Linux clients are OK

Steve Snyder swsnyder at insightbb.com
Tue Oct 8 20:48:01 GMT 2002

My Win98(SE) Samba clients can query the Samba-exported printer status,
but Win2K(SP3) clients cannot.  Both clients can actually print
documents.

I am running Samba v2.2.3a on a Linux (Red Hat v7.3) system.  This server
makes 2 printers (via a LPR subsystem) and several shared directories
available to our Linux, Win98 and Win2K (soon to be WinXP also) clients.

From a Win98 client, print jobs can be successfully submitted, the status
of those jobs can be checked and the jobs cancelled if desired.  Win2K
clients may only submit print jobs.  The submitted jobs actually print
correctly, but the status of the jobs cannot be checked nor can they be
cancelled.  Opening up the window for a given printer in Win2K, this
message is seen:

        Access denied, unable to connect

My first thought was that it was a problem with LPR permisions.
Apparently not.  Our Linux clients, using straight LPR-to-LPR
communication - no samba involved - can act on the server's LPR spooler
(submit jobs, query, cancel, etc.).  This suggests to me that the problem
is in the way that Samba interacts with the Win2K clients.

There are the relevant portions of my smb.conf:

   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   printing = lprng

[printers]
   comment = Network Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   create mask = 0700
   guest ok = Yes
   print ok = Yes
   browseable = No

Note that Win2K is *not* logging into a domain, but is configured to work
with a workgroup, the same workgroup that the Win98 machines use.

Note also that this behavior is seen with the same user in all
environments.  That is, "steve" sees the bahavior described about when
using a Linux or Win98 or Win2K client.  To my mind this precludes the
problem being one of login validity.

I am very concerned that this problem with Win2K will soon be seen on our
WinXP machines as well.  Can someone please advise me on how to get print
job status and cancellation on Win2K?

Thank you.