[Samba] Roaming Profile problems

Hall, Ken (ECSS) KeHall at exchange.ml.com
Tue Oct 8 18:53:00 GMT 2002

We're putting together a setup using Samba 2.2.0 on Linux, SECURITY=DOMAIN, with authentication done by a Windows 2000 server.  Everything works fine, except for Roaming Profiles.  We're trying to
store them on the Samba server where the users' home directory is.  (Right now they're stored in the users' home directory on the NT/2k server.)

I read the mention that I shouldn't use the HOMES share for storing profiles, so I set up a separate share, and the Windows administrator has pointed his logon path to it, along the lines of
"\\lnxecssp\profiles\username.pds" but the user gets "Access Denied" on each file it tries to copy when it goes to download the profile.  The administrator has tried deleting each of the "problem"
files, but the error just moves to the next.

All of the doc I can find on this talks about storing the profiles on a Samba server when it's a PDC.  I don't recall anything special required for this when using a Windows PDC, other than one
mention that the profiles share has to be browseable.  We're trying that shortly.  I also see a lot of mentions of the NETLOGON share, and "NET USE \HOME", but they're doing this differently here.  Is
this really required?

Can anyone point me at some doc that I might have missed, or does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks much.