[Samba] Active Directory user authentication with a Samba File server???

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Tue Oct 8 09:45:00 GMT 2002

> Message: 12
> Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 12:38:00 -0600
> From: "Miremont, James" <jmiremont at envestnetpmc.com>
> To: <samba at lists.samba.org>
> Subject: [Samba] Active Directory user authentication with a Samba File server???

> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C26E30.A98CBDF8
>
> I currently have a file/print server running on a W2K machine that =
> crashes almost daily and would like to start using Samba as a file =
> server, instead.
>
> Our 5 domain controllers are all setup using native mode so as to not =
> share active directory with any NT servers.
>
> ** If I setup samba on a redhat 8.0 box, can it read and write to our =
> current active directory for user authentication?

FYI, Mandrake 9.0 can do this for you, if you choose 'Windows Domain' as
the authentication method (might require an 'expert' install) during
installation (unfortunately, not available after install).

After installation, you may want to replace the basic
/etc/samba/smb.conf configured during the install with a better generic
winbind config (/etc/samba/smb-winbind.conf) and just set the
'workgroup' paramter back. You will then have an out-the-box file
server. If you want downloadable printer drivers on the machine, you
should just have to change the ownership of the driver directory:

# chgrp -R 'Domain Admins' /var/lib/samba/printers/*
# chmod -R g+w /var/lib/samba/printers/*

> I want to have a samba server that is apart of our domain and shares its =
> authentication with the other DCs, I do not want a user database on the =
> redhat box that is specific to it. So if a user changes their password =
> on a domain machine somewhere it will replicate to all other DCs, =
> including the Samba server. I do not want to maintain a seperate =
> user/password database on the Samba server.

No problem. Mandrake 9.0 is probably the easiest way to get this running
(IMHO, of course).

Buchan