[Samba] NT Security tab changes [solved]

Jules Agee julesa at pcf.com
Tue Oct 8 00:43:00 GMT 2002

Jules Agee wrote:
 > If I try to modify
> perms on a file that I don't own from the Security Tab, I get a
> permission denied dialog as expected. But when I actually own the file
> and try to change perms, for example to give "Everyone" write access to
> it, the second I click the Apply button, all my changes simply revert to
> whatever they were before I changed anything.
<SNIP>

The LDAP gidNumber in the user entries weren't matching up with existing
groups. I didn't think this would be an issue, since I didn't really
need a group for each user. So some of the files on the server just had
a gid number in the group permissions field instead of a group name, and
an ls -l in a user's home directory would look like this:

total 48
-rw-r--r--    1 julesa   1599         8661 Jan 31  2001 CHANGES.TXT
-rw-r--r--    1 julesa   1599        17032 Jan 31  2001 faq.html
-rwxr-xr-x    1 julesa   1599          485 Jan 31  2001 lbe.bat
-rw-r--r--    1 julesa   1599         1143 Feb 11  2002 userlist.txt

Unfortunately, Samba sort of gagged when it couldn't map the group id
number on the file to an existing group, and wouldn't let the user
change any permissions, even if they owned the file.

--
Jules Agee
System Administrator