[Samba] Active Directory user authentication with a Samba File server???

Miremont, James jmiremont at envestnetpmc.com
Mon Oct 7 18:39:01 GMT 2002

I currently have a file/print server running on a W2K machine that crashes almost daily and would like to start using Samba as a file server, instead.

Our 5 domain controllers are all setup using native mode so as to not share active directory with any NT servers.

** If I setup samba on a redhat 8.0 box, can it read and write to our current active directory for user authentication?

I want to have a samba server that is apart of our domain and shares its authentication with the other DCs, I do not want a user database on the redhat box that is specific to it. So if a user changes their password on a domain machine somewhere it will replicate to all other DCs, including the Samba server. I do not want to maintain a seperate user/password database on the Samba server.

Are these things currently possible??

Please help. :)

James Miremont
jmiremo at envestnetpmc.com