[Samba] Strange printer driver upload prob..

bbrown bbrown at regsrv.nw.uoguelph.ca
Mon Oct 7 14:22:01 GMT 2002

Hey All, I'm trying to get printer driver uploads going with the
[print$] share.  I'm running 2.2.4 on a RedHat 7.3 box.

This is a strange problem that I really havent been able to figure out,
and I'd appreciate it if anyone's got any tips or hints..

The thing is is that the uploads, through the 'Printers and Faxes' share
on an XP machine works only occasionaly..
By going into that share, and then going into the properties of the
specific printer, I can (sometimes) upload the printers drivers.  It
seems that if I do this once the drivers will upload successfully.  But
after upoading drivers to one printer, I will try another, and I will
start getting errors like "Printer Properties cannot be displayed.
Operation could not be completed" and "The print spooler service is not
running".  And the printer properties wont display, and I cant upload
the drivers..
And then an arbitrary amount of time later, I will try again and the
printer properties will display and I can upload again.  But again, I'll
only be able to get into the properties of one printer, and I'll have to
wait again...
Sometimes the "Printers and Faxes" share will completely disappear..

Werid..  I've tried this process on 3 different XP clients, and have
observed the same problems, so I'm assuming it's something to do with my
server set up...

Here's my smb.conf stuff relating to printing:

[global]
	printer admin = printadmin
         printing = cups
         printcap name = cups
[printers]
         comment = All Printers
         path = /var/spool/samba
         printable = Yes
         browseable = No
         public = Yes
         guest ok = Yes
         writable = No
         printer admin = printadmin
[print$]--
         |-W32X86        ; Win NT/2K/XP
         |-WIN40         ; Win 95/98
         path = /opt/samba/print
         browsable = Yes
         read only = Yes
         guest ok = No
         write list = printadmin

## PRINTERS
[ASb6_lext614]
         comment = ADM - Center
         path = /var/spool/samba
         read only = No
         printable = Yes
         printer name = ASb6_lext614
..
.

If anyone's run into anything like this before and has any insight, I'd
love to hear it!  TIA!

Ben Brown
UofG