[Samba] 2.2.5 and NIS question

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Oct 7 12:37:00 GMT 2002

ufo at reiff-gmbh.de wrote:

> thanks for your answer
>
> the point is - we don't have an ms-domain - and i don't want to set it up
> we have some citrix metaframe (single) servers that actually connect
> to Novell Netware 3.20 (!)
> the commercial applications run on AIX (via telnet)
>
> the plan is to move the Novell structure directly to an linux box using samba
>
> Each user has a login/password on the AIX (NIS-based)
> I just want to use this (very fine working) system to authenticate the
> users of the samba on the linux box
>
> any help is appreciated

The problem is, we can't do this with encypted passwords.  You could you
plaintext, and that would not require any special setup, but entails a
number of nasty client-side issues, starting with the need to hack the
registry on every client.  You need to create a new smbpasswd file.  The
--with-nisplus stuff refers to a method by which you can store an
smbpasswd like file *in* NISPLUS.  I do not recall any --with-nis
option.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org