[Samba] smbclient: protocol negotiation failed

Carey Nairn Carey.Nairn at dpac.tas.gov.au
Mon Oct 7 04:25:01 GMT 2002

When trying to connect to a samba server using smbclient on the local
machine (or any other unix machine with smbclient), I get a "protocol
negotiation failed" error.  When I try to connect to the same server using
a windows client it works just fine...

Regardless of whether the client is on the same server or some other
machine I get the following error message:

[2002/10/07 15:10:34, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(436)
   read_data: read failure for 4. Error = Connection reset by peer

I understand that this error may point to a network fault (perhaps) but I
don't understand think that I have a network fault when running smbclient
on the local machine.

The machine is a Solaris 8 Sun box and authentication is being performed by
Win2k Domain Controllers.
The global section of my config is as follows:

    workgroup = MYDOMAIN
    server string = %h - Samba %v
    password level = 8
    security = server
    password server = MYSERVER
    null passwords = no
    encrypt passwords = yes
    wins support = no
    wins server = 192.168.2.2
    hosts allow = 192.168.1., 192.168.2. 192.168.3.
    fstype = Samba
    preserve case = yes
    domain master = no
    local master = no
    preferred master = no
    os level = 0
    dead time= 0

    locking = yes
    lock directory = /var/spool/samba
    hide dot files = yes
    public = no

    guest account = nobody
    browseable = yes

    log file = /log/samba/log.%m

thoughts on this would be useful..

cheers,
Carey Nairn

Carey Nairn
Network and Systems Administrator
Information Systems Branch           Phone:  (03) 6233 3077
Dept of Premier & Cabinet            Fax:    (03) 6224 3174
GPO Box 123b Hobart, Tasmania 7001
AUSTRALIA
Mailto:Carey.Nairn at dpac.tas.gov.au