[Samba] FireWall Effects on Samba (Newbie)

Alex Le Dain alex at icon-tech.com.au
Mon Oct 7 03:19:00 GMT 2002

Dear List,

I have been wrestling with getting Samba 2.2.5 on Redhat 7.1 working on a Windows NT network containing W2K, W98 and Mac machines. I can see the Samba server (gargoyle) from the Win machines fine, but cannot browse any shares (Network unreachable error message).  This seems a relatively common problem, but seems harder to resovle in my case :-)

I have walked through the toubleshooting chapter and fail at a certain point. If I use "net view" from the Win machines I see the server, but "net view \\gargoyle" fails, but should have listed the available shares. Interestingly from the linux side I can browse outwards and see shares on the Win machines and the NT server fine. I can see the samba shares fine from the linux side but "nmblookup -B 192.168.1.253 gargoyle" command returns a "name query failed" result (.253 is the NT server). Presumably then gargoyle is not announcing itself correctly?

BTW I have added the linux server to the NT's LMHOSTS file and to the Win machines LMHOSTS file and this helps with name resolution but not the share problem. I have added the users to the linux system and to the samba password file and just aboiut every other thing suggested in the troubleshooting chapter.

OR, is it to do with firewall configuration rejecting the packets at the lowest level? Given I am a Linux newbie, can someone provide a walkthrough of where I go to broaden my firewall (if this really is the problem)?

I am at a loss as to where to go (smb.conf is shown below). Unless I crack this and a netatalk installation I will be stuck with configuring a Mac server! Yuk! BTW the netatalk stuff doesn't work either, hence the firewall suspicion.

cheers, Alex

[global]
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   remote announce = 192.168.1.253