[Samba] strange behavior maybe dependent on valid users

Willi Mann newsletters at wm1.at
Sun Oct 6 15:24:00 GMT 2002

Hi!

My problem:

I have a network with many workgroups and my samba server 3.0alpha21cvs
is the only member of one of that workgroups.
If I went to the network neighborhood and tried to open the workgroup of
my samba server I got an error message saying that the workgroup
"mygroup" was not available.
So I minimized the settings in the global section of my smb.conf and I
was able to open "mygroup".
I reactivated the most important options like "interfaces" and "hosts
allow", which didn't seem to be the problem.
But when I reactivated "valid users" containing 4 users, I was not able
to browse "mygroup" any more.

So, is it possible, that the ability to open a workgroup with only one
samba server depends on the value of "valid users"?
Do you have any other ideas, how to solve that problem?

Thanks
Willi Mann