[Samba] SaMBa permissions problem

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Wed Oct 2 22:54:01 GMT 2002

set a directory mask of 775

see the samba docs...
    This parameter is the octal modes which are used when converting DOS
modes to UNIX modes when creating UNIX directories.

    When a directory is created, the necessary permissions are
calculated according to the mapping from DOS modes to UNIX permissions,
and the resulting UNIX mode is then bit-wise 'AND'ed with this
parameter. This parameter may be thought of as a bit-wise MASK for the
UNIX modes of a directory. Any bit not set here will be removed from the
modes set on a directory when it is created.

    The default value of this parameter removes the 'group' and 'other'
write bits from the UNIX mode, allowing only the user who owns the
directory to modify it.

    Following this Samba will bit-wise 'OR' the UNIX mode created from
this parameter with the value of the force directory mode parameter.
This parameter is set to 000 by default (i.e. no extra mode bits are
added).

    Note that this parameter does not apply to permissions set by
Windows NT/2000 ACL editors. If the administrator wishes to enforce a
mask on access control lists also, they need to set the directory
security mask.

    See the force directory mode parameter to cause particular mode bits
to always be set on created directories.

    See also the create mode parameter for masking mode bits on created
files, and the directory security mask parameter.

    Also refer to the inherit permissions parameter.

    Default: directory mask = 0755

Example: directory mask = 0775