[Samba] 2GB Limit

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Oct 2 18:42:08 GMT 2002

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Kristyan Osborne wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've looked though the archives but i've only found stuff on smbfs.

>  What is the deal with the 2GB limit. I have a NT box do a backup though
> windows backup to a samba share (samba 2.2.5 on SUSE 7.1 kernel 2.4.18).
> When it gets to 2GB it stops and won't go any further.

The kernel filesystem used on the backup server must support large files
(most local linux filesystems do). You can test this on the server using
dd if=/dev/zero or something.

Your glibc must support large files. 2.2.something does that ok.

Your samba must be compiled so that it supports large files (it should,
but ...). Not really sure how to detect this from a samba binary.

The backup program on the NT box must support creating files larger than
2G. It probably does.

NTFS is not the problem, any fat usage might be.

/Urban