[Samba] smbclient returns error

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Wed Oct 2 16:27:01 GMT 2002

"root at sviluppo.synchron.it" wrote:

> Hy,
> can anyone help me?
> When I try to use "smbclient -L localhost -U<username>", after password entry,
> It is shown:
> Domain=[LINUX] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.5]
> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
>
> What can I do?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Francesco

The -L parameter is supposed to be a netbios name that the server
responds to. Do you have a "bind interfaces only = yes" and an
"interfaces = " line in your smb.conf that does not include the
loopback interface?

Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177